[Coco] Using disks with NitrOS9

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon Aug 19 17:30:48 EDT 2013

Bill,
Most of te nitros9 disks in the repo (if not all) have the floppy /d0, /d1, & /d2 drivers for regular "real" floppies.
The format of nos9 disk you use to boot with (40trk & 80trk) usually determines what the drive descriptors are set for. Dmode is usually in the cmds dir to change the drive settings to fit your drives. Here's the standard settings for dmode:
dmode typ=20 cyl=28 sid=2 (double sided 40trk 5.25)
dmode typ=20 cyl=23 sid=1 (single sided 35trk 5.25)
dmode typ=21 cyl=50 sid=2 (double sided 80trk, 3.5 & 5.25HD)

The real downfall in the repo disks is that no one seems to "get it" that 35trk SSDD disks are needed to make HDBDOS & RGBDOS boot from drive 255 or 254 using RG's AUTOEXEC.BAS or to boot from real floppies. So you have to make your own from the 40trk or 80trk disks. I ususally make my own for several configurations that I use, from floppy, to HD to DW4 to Becker port. Even Level 1 for DW4 as well as Becker port.

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com