[Coco] So, my CoCo 3 may be having some trouble

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Fri Aug 16 16:15:30 EDT 2013

Chis,
By "image" I mean an actual save of the rom itself. I'm pretty sure the cart is only a ROM cart and has no hardware for external sound. It just uses the Coco's internal 6 bit DAC for sound.
Since you do not have an MPI, you would have to tape the CD pin on the cart so it wouldn't auto start, then do a CSAVEM"MUSIC",&HC000,&HEFFF,&HC000 ,to save the ROM to cassette. It's probably not that big but those addresses would cover it just in case.
Then you have to copy the cassette image to a PC by recording a ".wav" file or use one of the conversion programs in the archives or on the net. I usually just plug the Coco cassette output straight to the line input of the PC and do the save on the Coco and record it on the PC using Window Sound Recorder. Then I load it into VCC Coco emulator and save it as a ".cas" file.
>From the wav or cas file, I would gladly make the transfers & conversions to virtual disk and virtual pak for use with DriveWire4 and the emulators as I'm sure others would too.
I can't remember which contact you have to tape on the cart to keep it from autostarting but I'm sure someone will chime in (anyone?). By doing this, the ROM is in memory but ECB starts normally and doesn't recognize it. I used to use this technique to disable the ROM in the Orch90 cart to use it as a stereo sound pak.

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com