[Coco] Cocopedia update

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Wed Aug 14 03:35:13 EDT 2013

Wayne,
I am very impressed with your knowledge of Basic09!  I have wondered many
times both way back when before I got into IBM PCs when I was heavily into
Cocos and recently after I got back into Cocos just what Basic09's I-code
really was.  I know Basic09 uses it as well as Pascal Interpreters though I
would not expect the two I-code formats and definitions to be the same.
People call Basic09 a compiler, it sounds more like an interpreted language
to me.  To me a compiler would be a program that takes source code and
transforms it eventually into executable machine language like C and C++ for
instance.  Since you know Basic09 intimately, how do you view the language
in terms of being an interpreted or compiled language.  Calling Basic09 a
compiler does not seem quite accurate.  It just separates the tokenizing and
executing stages of a Basic09 program into two separate parts.  Basic09 for
entering  the program and runb for interpreting the tokenized program if I'm
not mistaken.  DECB changes the key words into tokens as they are keyed in
or as the ASCII version of the program is loaded into memory it seems me in
a similar way to Basic09, though the structure of the tokenized program is
very different.  Though they are executed differently, I do see some
similarities in the internals of the two languages.  I'd like to hear your
thoughts extensively on this subject.  Don't get me wrong, I consider
Basic09 at least an order of magnitude better than DECB.  Though I have
never gotten around to using Basic09 myself, I imagine it is a much better
implementation of the Basic language than DECB.  Take care and have a good
night sleep.
Kip