[Coco] Cocopedia update

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Mon Aug 12 00:10:28 EDT 2013

On 08/08/2013 04:31 PM, Wayne Campbell wrote:
> I was again able to work on the Structure of I-Code. It is my hope that I
> will soon have this page completed, at least summarily. Beyond that it will
> be making changes as people let me know what they are not understanding or
> having difficulty with. I tend to write in a fashion that allows me to make
> my writing understandable to 7th and 8th graders, so if anything seems to
> need further explanation, please let me know. I welcome all questions
> concerning Basic09 and I-Code. Even if I don't know the answer, I will try
> to find it.
>
> Wayne
> <http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/The_Structure_of_I-Code>

This is good stuff, Wayne.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge.  It makes
me wonder about the possibility of an updated BASIC-09 compiler that
would produce compatible i-code modules -- or maybe even a different
language entirely that would compile to i-code. What I would really like
to see in BASIC-09 is meaningful labels for program flow instead of line
numbers.  That would make ON GOTO and ON GOSUB much nicer, for
instance.  Couldn't that be done by hashing symbolic names into line
numbers without any change to the i-code structure?  I could also do
without the integrated editor.  I'd love to see a stand-alone BASIC-09
compiler, or a modernized IDE.

Thanks again for documenting this stuff.

JCE

p.s.  I originally sent this reply on 8/9/13, but it never appeared in
my CoCo mail list folder, though it shows up in Thunderbird's 'Sent'.
Not sure what happened there.  Sorry if it duplicates.