[Coco] OS9/68K on Atari SatanDisk

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sun Aug 4 23:22:08 EDT 2013

On 07/01/2013 11:54 PM, Bob Devries wrote:
> There is(was) an Amiga port by an Australian called Digby Tarvin. It
> was seriously expensive, and had a number of limitations, one of which
> was no support for a hard disk drive, and no graphics support (fairly
> usual for early OS9/68000 ports).
>
> I now have OS9/68000 booting from the SatanDisk. All I had to do was
> change the DMA port number in the BOOTOSK.PRG config page to 2
> (default was 0).
>
> BEWDY!!!

Hey Bob,

I was late to this conversation, but it reminds me that to this day I am
unaware of any OS-9/68K implementation that runs in emulation on a
modern PC, with the exception of some fairly limited CD-i emulators.
Much as I like keeping the real hardware running, I do see an important
role for emulation in the preservation of old computers, and this seems
like a pretty big gap.  Some day I'll run out of SCSI hard drives to
keep feeding my MM/1.

I did once try running the Atari OS-9 disk images on a number of Atari
emulators with little success.  I'm not sure what it needs that it's not
getting in the emulators.  This has been 2 or 3 years back, so maybe the
emulation has improved, or maybe there's an emulator I'm not aware of
that does work.

I recently came across a disk image that purports to be OS-9 for a
Japanese computer called the X68000 (if I've got that right).  There are
emulators available for it, but I have yet to get around to installing
one and checking it out, but there might be some promise there.

Are you aware of anything I've missed?

JCE