[Coco] toolshed os9 copy question

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 20:48:53 EDT 2013

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 April 2013 09:44:26 Steven Hirsch did opine:
>

>> $ mkdir /tmp/mymount
>>
>> $ cocofuse somedisk.dsk /tmp/mymount
>>
>> Where 'somedisk.dsk' is an image of an OS-9 diskette. If no obvious
>> error messages, try:
>>
>> $ cd /tmp/mymount
>>
>> $ ls -al

> Everything seemed good to here, but the ls command hangs forever.
> Breakable with a ctrl-+c.  The disk I linked to is however a large file I
> have been using as a scratch pad to move stuff to the coco with, and is
> also currently mounted in drivewire as x0.

You almost certainly do NOT want to do this with an image mounted in DW!
Depending on the mode that DW uses to open the file, it could be reporting
"busy" to the kernel when you try the cocofuse mount.

What does this command tell you:

$ mount

and this:

$ cat /proc/mounts

?

It's possible that you have things wedged at this point.  Shutdown the DW
server and see if the cocofuse application is hung in the background:

$ ps axu | grep cocofuse

If it is, plan on rebooting to clear it (yes, it is quite possible to
wedge things on Linux - just takes an order-of-magnitude more work than
certain operating systems from WA state.)  Then, when up again, try it on
a conventionally-sized floppy image (anything that actually came from a
floppy is fine) that is not currently under the sway of DW.

Important:  I don't think you ever mentioned having a file server in your
home network, but if so do not try to mount a file being accessed over
NFS, Samba, etc.  That I can tell you from experience is problematic.

Steve