[Coco] The myth of the Coco3 256 color mode :)

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Thu Apr 18 13:15:35 EDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:57:04PM -0400, Robert Gault wrote:
> jmlaw at iprimus.com.au wrote:
> >Hi RG,
> >
> ><snip>
> >I don't know if anyone has become interested in it since, and wouldn't be
> >surprised if they're not. It's one thing to display the colors on screen in a
> >palette or show a static bitmap, it's another to actually develop it to the
> >point where it can be used for something like games, that's what I've been
> >working towards, that's just what interests me. Had there been more interest,
> >I'd have shared more sooner, but really, how often has it even been mentioned on
> >the list? Other than to say I deleted my posts from coco3.com because of a
> >temper tantrum? Yeah, two sides to every story ;)
> >
> >Anyway, I've done my best to keep developing it and the plan is to share all
> >that I've done with it within the next few months, depends how long it takes me
> >to finish my current project and get my personal website how I want it. Then if
> >anyone want's to learn more about it, they can. I've also been hesitant to write
> >anything of length for fear I'd just get more criticism, but I figure now if
> >those English anal pricks get so annoyed over a single typo (or god forsake me
> >if I make two) they can simply shove it where the sun don't shine. I have
> >absolutely no time for hypocritical idiots like that. I might even put in a
> >couple just for fun ;)
> >
> >Jason
> >

> Jason,
>
> I think this mode would be difficult to use for drawing images but
> have not tried to do that. I'm more interested in the "static
> images" you referred to. :) To that end, I've written a program to
> load 256-color .bmp files and display them. The results are
> surprisingly good.
>
> Robert

I'm curious as to why you think this mode is problematic for drawing
images?  Because the various colors don't bare an obvious mathematical
relationship to one another?  Or some other reason?

To me, the fact that each byte maps to a single pixel (i.e. NTSC color
clock) makes the 256 color mode easier to use than modes that require
bitwise manipulations to change individual pixels.  YMMV, of course...

John