[Coco] CoCo-X project

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Thu Apr 18 10:29:41 EDT 2013

I supported this on Kickstarter, but then those of us on this list are not
the average Kickstarter audience. The problem with Kickstarter is that
unless your goal is extremely modest, you need something with broad,
understandable appeal. The CoCo-X is not something the average person
visiting Kickstarter can easily understand, so I'm not surprised it's only
being supported mostly by those of us on this list (or is it entirely by
those of us on this list?). With the funding number needed, even if every
person on this list kicked in, I'm not sure the goal could be reached.

One option for another try at this would be to pitch this as a hobbyist
computer first and a CoCo clone second. Sort of like a more expensive
Raspberry Pi type of thing. Make it REALLY understandable to anyone and
perhaps include a few extras, even if its PDFs on a CD, with how to program
it, etc. We'd (those of us on this list) would get a new CoCo and the
broader audience would get a neat hobby system that just happens to be a
new CoCo. There are tons of systems like that sold elsewhere (example:
http://www.xgamestation.com/) and there's no reason to think this couldn't
work too even with the relatively high price (to clarify, the price is
understandable, but it is a premium over similar boards).

Another option is to go through something like an Indiegogo, where there
are no specific goals that need to be met. People buy in and there's
delivery independent of what the final totals are.

Anyway, just some thoughts...

-Bill

 Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade,
Inc.<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1>and