[Coco] CoCo-X project

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Thu Apr 18 09:55:55 EDT 2013

On Apr 18, 2013, at 8:32 AM, Fedor Steeman <petrander at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gary Becker's CoCo-X project, as based on the great FPGA design work done
> by several people, looks really promising as a replacement CoCo or even as
> a form of "CoCo 4". However, there aren't many backers yet and the closing
> data is coming soon.
>
> How do people feel about this possibility? Is it too expensive? Would more
> graphics mode be enticing? It already supports a 256 color mode and
> clockings speeds to a whopping 20 MHz.

If I wasn't in such severe financial state right now, I would have fully backed the project. The only down side to these Kickstarters is that some (like this one) will take "forever" before the are released.

But, I would see no problem kicking in $250 and waiting a year+ for the device, to support it, if I had the money.

For me, I am just spiraling towards bankruptcy right now and just trying to get through tomorrow :)

> There has been a lot of talk of a CoCo 4 and this is the closest thing yet.
> So I would expect a lot more people to be interested that is mirrored by
> the present number of backers.

Well, if this doesn't get funded, I think we are done with CoCo 4 talk unless there really are interested folks, but they don't like the FPGA concept. I think having the real I/O ports and ability to use a real 6809 is the best compromise I have seen between emulation and recreation.

		-- Allen