[Coco] Music with Floppy Drives & Hard Drives

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Thu Apr 18 01:23:32 EDT 2013

Allen,
Back in 1976 when I was in the 11th grade, I took a BASIC computer
programming class using an IBM 5100 series computer.  I think it was a 5110
and it had in addition to the standard Qwerty English keyboard, it also had
some strange symbols on the key caps that were used in a language called
APL.  I can't figure out how someone would have come up with that language
at all.  Anyway, someone had written in BASIC using these strange characters
to sound out the rhythm of the William Tell Overture on the printer.  It was
great!  The printer was bidirectional and the program took this into account
and used that feature beautifully.  I have always wanted a copy of that
program.  :)
Kip