[Coco] New CoCo Cartridge CAD Preview

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Mon Apr 15 22:45:00 EDT 2013

I posted a screen shot of a preview of the CoCo cartridge housing I'm
designing in OpenSCAD on my blog:
http://8littlebits.wordpress.com/2013/04/16/cartridge-housing-cad/

It isn't quite finished, and I haven't printed it yet, but this should
give an indication of the basic design.  I have it so that the depth of
the cartridge is parameterized.  As depicted in the screen shot, it is
the same size as a game cart.  (I'm using Quasar Commander as my
model.)  But by changing one variable, I can make a longer cart.  At the
moment, the longest one I can make will be just a little over 100mm,
which is in between a game cart and the vacuum-formed cart they put the
DS-69 video digitizer in, which is about 112mm long.  I intend to build
a RepRap printer, which I believe has a bigger build platform, so I
could probably make something as long as a FDC or an RS-232 Pak with
that.  Given that I have printed a case for my Raspberry Pi, I might
just be able to fit one in a housing printed on the Makerbot, but there
probably wouldn't be room for a whole lot else.

Next I just need to design cutouts for various connectors and whatnot.
Then the housing could be customized for a wide variety of applications.

If you're working on a project involving the CoCo's cartridge connector,
what would you like to see in a 3D printed housing?

JCE