[Coco] The CoCo outside of the U.S.

Torsten Dittel OS-9 at TRS-80.CC
Mon Apr 15 15:40:23 EDT 2013

Boisy,

your post reminds me that I promised some pictures long time ago, but my
collection is still boxed (family and job keep me busy...).

However, let me summarize some things I remember:

In Europe, we had "Tandy Computer Stores" (selling TRS-80 items, but not
everything found in the US-Catalogs) and Tandy stores (selling the "toys",
Realistic stuff etc.), at least in Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands
(don't know for sure about France and the UK, but I assume as well).

Any CoCo version has been sold as 240V 50Hz PAL version beside the CoCo3
(that was only available in Australia), that means silver CoCo1 (all
boards), CoCo1B (the big white case), CoCo2 and CoCo2B (TANDY logo,
lowercase VDG - however the latter were hard to find because Tandy closed
the Computer shops at the time they came out). All types of Multipak
Interfaces were available with 240V 50Hz and most CoCo1/2 ROM Paks,
joysticks, mice etc. as well as all types of disk controllers, floppy
drives and printers.

I have seen all the manuals (Color BASIC, Extendend Color BASIC, Disk BASIC
etc.) in German, English, Dutch and French.

PAL versions were different between the countries (see a previous post of
mine regarding that topic, I guess it's available at CoCopedia too).

The PAL CoCos I've seen were made in the US (early models) and Korea (CoCo2
& 2B). Would have to look at the French models to see were they come from
(they were possibly made in France - they had a special RGB board and an
AZERTY keyboard. That's what happened with the RGB MC-10 as well because
foreign computers were banned from import as far as I know - at least they
couldn't be bought by public schools during an IT educational program run
by the French government in these times)

Another Tandy licensed CoCo2 clone was called "Misedo 85" and made by
Montex Ivangrad (Berane) in Montenegro (former Yugoslavia):

http://pc.pcpress.rs/pcmuzej/images/galerija/misedo85_big.jpg

If you need proves for some of the information above, I might be able to
provide more internet findings and some pictures I already made (will not
promise again I can take new pictures in time...).

Regards,
Torsten