[Coco] The CoCo outside of the U.S.

Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) retrocanada76 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 11:47:07 EDT 2013

My two cocos3 have this screen. And yes looks like my windows' screen.

I think it's a good thing for 2 reasons:

1) avoid accumulating bigger particles of dust / animal hair (I found dried
leaves in my coco2b)
2) avoid any little screw or any other metal piece fall into the pcb and
cause a short circuit.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Glen VanDenBiggelaar
<glenvdb at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Curtis is right, other than the French/English manuals and boxes (Law here
> in Canada), I believe it was very close to what Tandy did in the USA.
> Inter-Tan was (at that time) just a shell corp, so Tandy
> could legally operate in Canada. From what I understand,
> there basically was no real difference if you walked in to a Radio Shack in
> Texas or Toronto. You could get the exact same "stuff" and I even believe
> the Catalogs were the same except for the price difference. The catalogs
> were a bit different though, I don't remember seeing "French" at all in
> them in Western Canada.
> On the later CoCo2/3 we had 2 serial number stickers on the botom (French
> /English again). I did notice a bit of differences in some of the products
> though, which I had documented at one time on the CoCo lounge. The "single"
> white disk drives had different "holes" stamped in for ventilation -one
> being square "holes" and one being long Vertical slits- Probably from
> different factories manufacturing them at the time, not really a
> country/regional thing though.
> Also the Canadian CoCo 3 had that "screen" glued under the Vent slots, - I
> have pictures posted of that on the facebook group. Because it is just a
> nylon Screen, that you would find in any screen door or window, I really do
> believe it has nothing to do with RF shielding.
> -Glen
> On 2013-04-15, at 7:19 AM, "Boisy G. Pitre" <boisy at tee-boy.com> wrote:
>

> > I want to tap into the collective knowledge of the list here, especially
> those outside of the U.S. who are members and who owned Color Computers
> back in the day.
>

> > In the upcoming book, Bill and I want to touch a bit on CoCo as it
> existed outside of the U.S. There's the issue of clones, which is a
> different topic and not what I'm looking to discuss at the moment.
>

> > My understanding is that there were different subsidiaries of Tandy in
> different countries setup to handle Radio Shack store sales there. Canada
> had InterTan. Who did Australia have? Europe?
>

> > It also appears that international CoCo sales started with the CoCo 2,
> then carried on with the CoCo 3. I know that a PAL version of the CoCo 3…
> what about a CoCo 2? And were there any other languages that the BASIC
> manual was printed in besides English?

Long live the CoCo