[Coco] can't compile Toolshed on CygWin

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 18:43:26 EDT 2013

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Friday 05 April 2013 08:19:15 Steven Hirsch did opine:
>
>> On Thu, 4 Apr 2013, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>>> I've never actually seen cocofuse work on Linux either, it has always
>>> thrown errors and I've never bothered to figure out why.
>>> The cocofuse issue won't stop you from building NitrOS9 or using the
>>> toolshed otherwise, if that's any consolation :)
>>
>> Aaron,
>>
>> I spent some time and effort fixing cocofuse a few years ago and it
>> works just fine for me on Ubuntu 10.04LTS.  Can you tell more about the
>> problems you're seeing?
>>
>> Steve
>
> Ubuntu 10.04-4 LTS is what I'm running here.
>
> All this talk about cocofuse made me curious, so I went looking for some
> docs.  There doesn't seem to be any unless its in the pdf.  Which it is
> not.
>
> I see it is in the toolshed tree, but the executable wasn't built to be
> available in the $PATH addition of /opt/toolshed/bin, its in
> /opt/toolshed/build/unix, so isn't available for use without either
> softlinking buils/unix into the toolshed/bin path, or adding yet another
> element to the $PATH environment variable.

That's odd.  It builds by default in my sandbox.  Do you not have a
Makefile in the same directory as the cocofuse.c source?

> Reading the .c src seems to indicate its some sort of a mini-dos swiss army
> knife.
>
> Looking in toolshed/build/unix/cocofuse, there are only cvs entries there,
> it is not mentioned in the rules.mak, nor in the makefile, so while the
> cocofuse.c file is there, there is not an executable as it has never been
> built.
>
> So, what is it, how do I build it, and what can it do?

It essentially lets you mount an OS-9 image as if it were a block device
and treat it like part of the Unix filesystem.  You can cd into it, copy
files in and out, grep through source, etc, etc. The image can be any
arbitrary size, including hard disk.  Just invaluable, IMHO.

Does the same thing for RS BASIC, but I think only for conventionally
sized diskette images.

If you don't have the Makefile, give me a yell and I'll try to figure out
what (if anything) I had to do to get it to compile and link.  You will
need all these packages as a pre-req:

libfuse2
libfuse-dev
fuse-utils