[Coco] DSK image utilities?

Manny manney at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 07:29:59 EDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 10:23 PM, David Ladd <drencor at gamepixel.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Allen Huffman <alsplace at pobox.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 2, 2013, at 11:39 AM, David Ladd <drencor at gamepixel.net> wrote:
>> > So far most of my disk images I am creating using some of the tools from
>> > the ToolShed Project.
>>
>> I looked at that, but didn't get very far. I kept getting errors from the
>> tool, so I have some learning to do.
>>
> Well the command line structure for some is the easiest to get.
> For example to use decb to copy a file to the disk image you would:
> decb copy file diskimage,
>
> You must in almost all cases make sure you have a "," after the diskimage
> file name. If you don't it will treat the file as a normal file rather than
> a disk image.

Has anyone done some sort of GUI front-end for some of the ToolShed
tools?  It looks like some of the confusion would be solved depending
on the solution.

>> I mean, if I have a .BAS file or a .BIN, and I want to get it in to an
>> emulator, how would I go about doing that? Xroar can create a blank disk
>> image on the fly, but I do not know how to put files on the image. It seems
>> back in the days of the Jeff V CoCo emulators (DOS!) we had tools that did
>> this.
>
> Well the old DSKINI and DSKREAD utilities from Jeff Vavasour do not work in
> modern windows platforms.  Thats where the CoCoDisk utility comes in handy.
>  As far as the other utility that came with Jeff Vavasours emulator to
> transfer files into and out of disk images may still work, I haven't tried.

Has anyone tried Jeff's old emulator and utilities with DOSBox?  I'd
be interested to see if it works.  He wrote most (if not all) of that
in 16-bit assembly didn't he?  It would be cool to see someone port
that to portable C (or your favorite language here.)  I'd do that for
a fun project if I could find the time to learn assembly.  :)

> I use the decb utility from the toolshed project to read and write files
> from/to the disk images on the native system I am using.  There is portable
> source for the utilities on sourceforge so they can be built on windows and
> linux/*nix systems.
>
> So far I have been able to use decb, cecb, and os9 on my own windows
> system, my ubuntu 10.04 linux system, mint 14 linux syste, and my debian
> Raspberry Pi system without any problems.
>
> Plus this is how the NitrOS-9 project disk images are created using the os9
> utility that comes in the toolshed project.  Plus I have a few of my own
> projects that I use decb and cecb from the toolshed project.

Again, the above DOSBox / porting solution is probably not the best
considering the tools are already here with ToolShed...

-M.