[Coco] DynaStar colors

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Sep 23 14:58:28 EDT 2012

On Sunday 23 September 2012 14:30:04 Bill Pierce did opine:

> Harry,
> The only problem with the DynaStar manual is that it is the manual for
> DynaStar on Coco 2 using Wordpak which for the most part, used
> monochrome monitors (IIRC). Good try though, I had already looked at
> that one :-)

IOW the manual I have is MUCH newer.

> There are a lot of Manuals that are not current in the archives. One
> example is "Super Sleuth" which is the manual for the DECB version but
> the only program there is the OS9 version. Commands are identicle, but
> setup and file use are a little different plus the fact that Gene
> modded it for Level 2.

Correction, converting sleuth to level 2 was very minor, and mostly some
added defs.  The major changes I made were in updating the strings from os9
V1.00 to os9V1.01, which expanded the call name namespace from 4 chars to
6, so it outputted the more familiar "os9 I$getstt" instead of the more
confusing 1st version of os9 level 1.00.

Professor Bud Pass's code actually came in src code form when you bought
it.  Having looked at some of his code, I'll make a blanket statement that
anyone who took his classes, will still have a leg up on many of todays
wannabe coders 30 years later.  FWIW, I had his permission to make those
changes, which because his code is so well organized, was a piece of cake.

I came by it when a friend bought a copy but couldn't make it build on his
level 1 v1.01 system because the defs files weren't compatible.  I may yet
have the original disks around someplace in my midden heap of a basement.

I got the impression from Bud when I called him on the phone once, and from
emails, probably close to 20 years back, that he would not care if they
were uploaded, time having rendered any ability to make a profit from it
moot.  I don't believe that at the time he put those adds in the Rainbow
etc, that people understood what a gem they were getting for their money.

> There are others as well with similar
> "disfunctions". Then there's manuals with no programs... programs with
> no manuals ect.  :-)

The story of our lives folks.

> Thanks
> Bill P

As for sleuth, it doesn't take much in the way of experimentation to deduce
how it works.  You have to edit a helper file that tells it when to switch
from decoding object to decoding FCB's etc, otherwise its both intuitive
and time consuming.  It can however, give you a source file when its done
that you can then add comments to, and re-assemble the executable complete
with the correct crc.  Disasm and friends work faster, but are prone to
mistakes that your helper file prevents sleuth from making in the first
place.

What does this group think of the copyright vis-a-vis ds?