[Coco] C64 converted into low operating keys

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Tue Sep 18 20:47:48 EDT 2012

Actually, given the right software, the Coco can produce quite a few interesting and very musical sounds. Plug in an Orch90 pak with the pin covered so it won't boot, and it'll do it in 8-bit stereo. I admit, it's not the C-64's propriety sound chip, but software synthesis can be don very well on the Coco.

 So far, the most notes I've seen produced on the Coco simultainiously is 8. The last versions of Lyra did this with it's TV Play feature in which it plays all 8 Lyra voices through the Coco's dac.

There's been tons of software for synthesis on the Coco. Two that I know of are in Rainbow mag. Then you have Sountrax, Maxsound, Studio Works, all of which use sampled waveforms to produce music. Take the engines from these, mix with a multisample mixer, add octave control by keyboard or midi and you have a very complex synth.

 Programs like Musica, Lyra (TV Play), Bells & Whistles 2, Composer, Music++, all use wavetable sound synthesis. Replace the wavetables with sound samples and make a few adjustments in the play routines... This, I've actually done. Producing 4 voice horns and strings from samples. The Bells and Whistles 2 engine is best suited for this as it already has support for 8 user designable wavetables (256 bytes each) and 8 user designable volume envelopes (256 bytes each) as well as a 256 band EQ. Combine this with Orch90's 8-bit stereo dacs and you can get amazing sound quality.

Just saying.... :-)
Bill P

Bill Pierce
ooogalapasooo at aol.com