[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Rainbow magazine and manually typing those printed programs!

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Sep 12 11:34:22 EDT 2012

On Wednesday 12 September 2012 11:17:42 abrower did opine:

> Thanks bud!  I wasn't sure how many others are still out there like me
> remembering such things
>
> --- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, Russell Flowers <coffeecircle at ...>
wrote:
> > That's great - I shared this on Facebook.
> >
> > -- Russ Flowers

What I remember most from such activities way back when was the inability
to ascertain if the character was a 1(one) or an l(ell) because the dmp
Lonnie used to make the offset plates for the Rainbow did not distinguish
between them, and on the odd occasions when he made plates using a daisy
wheel printer, he must have had 2 printers because one of them looked
identical to my own Brother DWP, and the other looked exactly like the pure
ascii wheel in my xerox 1650-ro.  Both of those printers eventually did get
a dremel modified wheel so I could tell the diff between those two
characters.

I still have the xerox, although I don't know why since ribbons for it are
extinct.  I did find a box of them about 5 years ago, but they were
unusable, the film was so brittle it shattered on the first strike.

As you all know by now, anything I want to print from the coco now, gets
sent up the usb cable from drivewire version of /p where drivewire.jar
writes it to a file, and a script that watches that directory grabs it and
sends it back through cups on this linux box and back down the same cable
to the hub, thence to a Brother B&W laser.  Absolutely beautiful 600 dpi
output at 22 pages a minute. Whats not to like for aging eyes?

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
You will be the last person to buy a Chrysler.