[Coco] [Color Computer] Rainbow magazine and manually typing those printed programs!

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon Sep 10 16:40:55 EDT 2012

That's where I leaned to program, many, many hours typing Rainbow programs. I especially loved the ML programs as that was my main interest. The one that opened me up to "real" assembly and interfacing to Basic was Steve Bjork's "Mouse" which ran in a 3 part series. I leaned more about asm from those files than any others. They included interfacing to USR() cmds, re-routing the interrupts, tapping into basic's cmd tables to patch my own, mouse/joystick control, digitized sound, and hi-res graphics text (PMODE4)... all in one program. This led to many assembly projects that eventually led to a small OS mod that included all the little tricks I had found in Rainbow for BASIC & DISK BASIC. I had auto-repeating keys, 51 col screen, mouse control, direct entry cmds as in OS9 (ie. "LYRA" as opposed to "LOADM"LYRA":EXEC"), more colors with *PAINT, DS 40trk 6ms drives, and many more. This file was on every disk I started so that I could load it first. I only had a few programs (in basic) that wouldn't run under my modified RSDOS.
I was lost when I found it wouldn't run on my new Coco 3... then I discovered OS9 Lv2. Too bad Rainbow never really delved into some serious OS9 stuff. I got tired of 200 different ways to split a file or dump it. There were a couple of good things for OS9 but most were in Basic09...Too slow. Not much "C" or ML. Too bad...

Bill P

Bill Pierce
ooogalapasooo at aol.com