[Coco] OS-9 Databases

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Sun Sep 9 17:03:24 EDT 2012

See if you can locate a copy of "CoCo Family Recorder".  It's a very
specific genealogy database, but was written in DECB. I used a lot of
little tricks to get it to run fast, many thought it was a machine
language program, but only partially due to speed -- I "hid" the DECB
program listings by using a little trick to make them appear on the disk
as ML and they wouldn't load and list. It was easy for an experienced
CoCo person to get around. I did it not to hide the code from someone
who knew what they were doing, but to prevent the casual user from
messing with the code and causing themselves grief. The program was
translated over to BASIC-09, but I didn't do it, another fellow did
(with my permission). I sold both versions for a short time.

One of the tricks that made it so fast was that records were pre-defined
and written to disk. Think of it as a stack of blank, numbered forms.
The forms were then indexed to each other by relation by record number.
Since the records were always in the exact same order they were quick to
find. The only drawback to this method was possible disk errors could
corrupt the whole database. I pointed this out in the docs and
recommended keeping at least two backups of the data disks, and rotating
them.

If anyone has a copy of either the DECB or BASIC-09 versions of these
programs they have my permission to put them up on the list archive
site. Just make sure they have all the files and credits, and get put in
the FARNA folder. Would be nice if someone could scan the docs and put
them in a PDF file as well... or get me a copy of the docs and I can do
that. I no longer have copies of any of my CoCo software.

-- Frank Swygert Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine www.amc-mag.com