[Coco] OS-9 Databases

Aaron Sebold manney at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 13:19:25 EDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-09-09 at 11:09 -0400, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 6:49 AM, Aaron Sebold <manney at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone could direct me to some databases that were
> > written for OS-9, in a high level language and have released their
> > source?  I wanna peek around and see what they did and how they did
> > it.  :)
> >

> Seems to be par for the course on the list as of late, but I think we
> are missing the crux of Aaron's question..  he is looking for high
> level source code to "see what they did and how they did it".   So
> probably not too interested in a binary (or the merits or issues with
> actual use of that binary :)

Yeah, I noticed this as well.  :)  You've hit the nail on the head.  I'm
not so worried about their performance either (as someone else was
pointing out,) more the how and why.

> I'd be interested in such code as well, but haven't seen any.  There
> really isn't much high level code for OS9 software around in general,
> since for one most OS9 software was not written in a high level
> language to begin with, and also I think because the concept of "open
> source" really wasn't around in OS9's heyday (at least not on
> microcomputers).  Basic09 does have decent support for records and of
> course C will do anything you'd like, but finding an example of a
> database using either might be tough.

It's a real pity that we don't have more of the developers coming back
to release their code (if they still have it.)

I'd like to see anything in Basic09, C, Pascal or <insert language
here.>

> You could try looking through the 68 Micro Journal, they have lots of
> articles on various techniques using the programming languages found
> in OS9 and might have some of what you're looking for.
> https://sites.google.com/a/aaronwolfe.com/cococoding/home/magazines/68-micro-journal

Thanks for the link.  If I see anything, I'll post it for reference.

-M.