[Coco] Has anyone done an Angry Birds port on the CoCo?

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Wed Oct 31 03:03:48 EDT 2012

With all due respect, what you call a 3D engine CoCo "game" still show
the limits of the CoCo.  While trying to be a Wolfenstein 3D game, it
come up short in control, speed, sound and graphics. Yes, it was good
for a CoCo. But the real point is that I never got the "WOW" factor
playing that 3D CoCo game like I got with Wolfenstein 3D when it first
came out on the PC.

Yes, you can code a game more efficient and that's how some of the game
ports have been done.  But there are limits.  You will never get 800
Watts of good power from a 300 Watt power supply.  The same it true with
the CoCo.  You can push it, but there are limits.

This come from someone that knows all too well the limits of the 6809
and the hardware of the CoCo and the horsepower needed for this type of
physics engine game.  After all, I did professionally code for the CoCo
for over a decade before moving on to other systems.

Another way to look at it, time is short.  Too short wasting time on
trying to get an 30 year old computer to do the things a $35 Raspberry
Pi can do.  I'm sitting here with all types of computers. From Mac to PC
to iPad to Microsoft Surface to Android, it runs the gambit.  Don't get
me started about all the micro-controllers I have at the workbench.
With all the choices out there, it's easy to pick the right computer or
device for the tack.

Steve