[Coco] Os9 Intercept

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Oct 30 01:28:31 EDT 2012

On Tuesday 30 October 2012 01:11:42 Bill Pierce did opine:

> Hi Guys,
> In OS9, how do you reset an Intercept back to default after a program
> has set it? I have a program that runs a function that uses a signal
> intercept. When the function is called, the F$Icpt is set. The program
> will be continuously running, but the intercept will no longer be
> needed until the same function is called again. The lines that set the
> intercept can be jumped over each time, but the intercept itself does
> not need to in operation unless within that function, as it interferes
> with the rest of the program. So, how would I go about resetting the
> intercept address to what it was before the change. I searched through
> both the "C" User's guide and the OS9 Tech Reference manual and only
> found reference to setting the intercept. So, is there some way to call
> before the intercept is set to get the current intercept address saved
> before I set the intercept?

F$Icpt seems to be a one way street Bill.  But it should not interfere with
other process numbers because you MUST send the signal, such as a kill, to
a specific process.  The fact that its set for that process number, should
not effect any other process number.  That process, on receipt of the kill
or whatever you send it, will then execute the code at the address you gave
the F$Icpt call in the X register.  If it hasn't been set, then the process
should die, but if its set, the process can do whatever you programmed
starting at the x registers address.  If you want a kill signal to simply
re-exec that processes init functions, effectively a HUP, you could
theoretically write a process only killable with the reset button.  Or
until the path table filled up. :(  Housekeeping in such cases is
paramount.  The one time I used it, at least a decade back, I recall I did
a close on every open path that utility had, and then jumped back to the
start label for a true restart.  That seemed to work well but I ran into
something else I couldn't solve my way and gave up on that util.