[Coco] Unreliable Coco3

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon Oct 22 10:06:31 EDT 2012

Hi guys,
I had similar problems with my Coco 3 back in the 80s. Luckily, I had a friend who was a tech at a local shop and was also a Coco enthusiast. He pointed out a smaller chip (looking down into an open Coco) on the lower left hand side of the 2 large chips left of the GIMI. He said these go out on a regular basis, so he pulled the chip, put in a socket, and put in a new chip. He told me if I had any old broken Cocos around (I did), that if the chip went out again, to just pull the same chip and replace with one from the old Cocos. This chip is in both Coco 3s and 2s. There are 2 large & 2 smaller chips on that side of the GIMI and I'm not at home with my Coco, so I cannot check to see which of the smaller chips it is, as it is now socketed on my old Coco. I had to replace this same chip again in the late 90s (same coco) and was glad he put in the socket. The one thing I do remember about the 2 smaller chips (ic6 & ic7 in the sevice man), one is only in Coco 3 (I think) and the other is in the 2 & 3. The chip that is in both is the one I kept having to replace. I will check the number on these when I return home on friday.

I'm not saying this your problem, just a possibility
Bill P

Bill Pierce
ooogalapasooo at aol.com