[Coco] Unreliable Coco3

Retro Canada retrocanada76 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 09:42:13 EDT 2012

you don't need to replace it.

Just find a contact cleaner found in any electronic parts store. apply
it to the contacts and using a folded carton or hard paper will can
clean it. Don't use qtips or they will be stuck in the connectors.

Also take a small screwdriver and push each contact to check if they
are not stuck. It should bend when you insert the screwdriver. Make
sure all contacts are in place again or you could blew you 6809 :P

For the garbage screen, leave the computer on without the controller.
It could be a chip when it overheats it starts to malfunction. You
have an extension 512  right ? Socketed memory chips ? Start removing
and cleaning all memory chips, only reseating them should be enough
but if you see it's corroded  use a nail file to gently clean the
pins. Take care to put them back in the same orientation. There is a
small mark on one of the ends of the chip, it must be aligned to the
PBC marks too. It's is usually a semi-circle or a small circle on the
corner.

If it's a overheating problem, you could use a "well calibrated"
finger to measure the temperature. Bad chips usually but not always
will burn your finger if you stay long on it.

Good luck.