[Coco] bootlink progress

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Oct 20 13:23:45 EDT 2012

On Saturday 20 October 2012 13:10:12 L. Curtis Boyle did opine:

> This sounds similar (except using virtual disk images) to the BUTIL that
> Bruce Isted did for the Frank Hogg Eliminator way back. You could
> change boot tracks using that utility, to change which boot your were
> going to use, and set up as many as you had room for (I kinda borrowed
> that idea on the last version of the IDE driver that I did for
> Glenside, when I allowed "offset partitions" to make multiple (up to) 4
> GB virtual hard drives on a larger physical drive (I tested on a 20
> GB). I have no idea if that code is still in the NitrOS9 tree or not.
> :)

I have some drives, up to 6.3 Gb IIRC, I cabbaged all the scsi-2 drives
with a 50 pin interface from the tv station 2-3 years ago, Quantums IIRC
but they were all cooked in a poorly cooled server that caused a high drive
failure rate and was eventually replaced because it was down 30% of the
time waiting for Quantum to warranty bad drives.  Net result is that I
haven't yet put a cable on them to see if os9 can format them.  I should
probably hook them up 1 at a time and clone /dd to them with my b09 version
of dd.  Maybe thats something I can do this afternoon.  If I can find the
giddyup.

This mornings work on bootlink is gone, /dd developed a DISK ERROR while
sitting there spinning overnight.  Touched the reset button and it
rebooted, disk error gone, but so is about 100 lines of code I had added to
it this morning. :(  &*^%$# even...

Don't ask about my mood after that till I've had another cuppa, which is
brewing. :(