[Coco] Screen capture

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Oct 18 19:51:03 EDT 2012

On Thursday 18 October 2012 19:01:24 Stephen H. Fischer did opine:

Man, you really have drunk the kool-aid.  I could probably plug that NAS
into my machine and fix anything it did except crap drives in a day or so.
We have repair software for ext2-3-4 and several other filesystems although
I won't claim the NTFS support is 100% in write mode since that has all
been reverse engineered and M$ has publicly threatened extensive legal
action if we get too close to that.

We can handle any type of a raid setup the NAS folks can dream up.
Particularly if the NAS is actually running linux.

Don't be so enamored of NTFS, it seems to have a penchant for looking at
the clock/calendar, and randomly deleting an important file at nominally
yearly intervals.  And despite your having a legal bill of sale complete
with a registration number, the only way to get another copy of that file
is to buy another copy of NTSF.  Been to that dog and pony show twice at
the tv station, at a cost for new licenses of something over $800 back up
the log far enough that was about my paycheck.

After having been treated like that by M$, it will be the same day that
winged pigs wearing ice skates start using hell for a runway before they
get another penny from me personally.

> Yes there is a Windows program that I heard about, but that would mean
> learning much more about Linux than I want to.

Stephen, its a breath of fresh air.  _You_ own both the machine and what
gets loaded into it, not some faceless jerk in Redmond that has only one
quest, to reach into your pocket for every last penny his hand can find.

If you can't fix it, you don't own it.  It really is that simple.

> It took four burning of CDs to find one Linux version that actually
> worked like Partition Magic which I purchased twice before MS outlawed
> it.

GParted makes Partition Magic jealous.  And its free for the cost of the
download time and the cd you burn it to. $1 a copy at its highest.

How the hell can M$ outlaw your dropping a bootable CD with GParted into
its drive and turning on the power switch?  The only way is for next years
motherboards with the IETF or whatever its called, where the file being
loaded MUST be signed by a security key from M$, and the key passes the
check, will it allow the load to proceed.  M$ Calls it security, but what
it really is is yet another attempt to lock linux out of a market that M$
mistakenly thinks is supposed to be 100% theirs.

In the server business that runs the internet, 90% of the banks and wall
st., linux has risen 70% or more of the market in the last 10 years,
growing annually at 10% or so as old IIS machines are replaced with bigger
& faster iron, all running linux, and 99% of the so-called super computers
on the planet are running linux, with it being 100% of the top 100 or so.

As far as this restricted boot thing goes, the FSF has purchased a key, so
linux shouldn't have a problem with it when the time comes that these new
broken by design motherboards start coming through the supply channels in
the next 6 months or so.  OTOH, the motherboard makers aren't dummy's, and
likely will have quite a few boards that don't include that.  Particularly
the big iron boards that the better web sites on the net use.

> The software used in the NAS I have downloaded but I cannot look at it
> because the Linux programmers have prevented Windows programmers looking
> at it by naming the files with a special character that prevents
> unzipping (Or whatever) on Windows.

Put "quotes around the filename".  But thats backwards and ONLY applies to
the linux shell, bash, when looking at a windows system with spaces in the
filename.

We do not, and never have used any ascii character that a windows machine
cannot display or otherwise use.  If that is what your are seeing, then its
windows relieving itself in the Cherrio's, not linux.

> Yes, Linux is a swear work in this house.
>
> If a Linux programmer detects Windows running it will erase the HDD, or
> so I am told that there is a CD out there that will do so. *eg*

Only IF _you_ give it permission Stephen.

> SHF

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Can anything be sadder than work left unfinished? Yes, work never begun.