[Coco] Screen capture

Thu Oct 18 17:55:46 EDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Heskett" <gheskett at wdtv.com>
To: <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2012 1:47 PM
Subject: Re: [Coco] Screen capture

> On Thursday 18 October 2012 16:46:30 Bill Pierce did opine:
>
>> P.S. And before Gene answers, for Windows
>>
> Windows?  I thought that was a swear word... :)
>

> Cheers, Gene

No, it is Linux.

I just broke the RAID 1 array in my NAS into JBOD so that I could increase
it's size to 2 TB from 1 TB.

All this CoCo work has filled it up with captured DTV.

Now if one of the disks fails, even a little, I must throw away 1 TB of DTV
and or Windows backups (which I have not used any part of for over a
decade).

The NAS uses the free Linux software and there is no capability of
recovering now. Before as it was RAID 1 I could replace the disk and recover
everything. Previous Seagate product was sent to Mexico for replacement
three times before Seagate took pity on me and upgraded to a better product.
A 1" fan for two drives in a box that was as tight as it could have been
made. :-II

If it really was NTFS then I could mount the drive in one of my desktop
machines and use lots of programs to recover.

With EXT3 I am screwed.

Yes there is a Windows program that I heard about, but that would mean
learning much more about Linux than I want to.

It took four burning of CDs to find one Linux version that actually worked
like Partition Magic which I purchased twice before MS outlawed it.

The software used in the NAS I have downloaded but I cannot look at it
because the Linux programmers have prevented Windows programmers looking at
it by naming the files with a special character that prevents unzipping (Or
whatever) on Windows.

Yes, Linux is a swear work in this house.

If a Linux programmer detects Windows running it will erase the HDD, or so I
am told that there is a CD out there that will do so. *eg*

SHF