[Coco] cowin vs cogrf question

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Oct 17 21:07:32 EDT 2012

On Wednesday 17 October 2012 20:56:19 Stephen H. Fischer did opine:

> Hi,
>
> > Secondary silly Q: A fav technique to keep from having to rewrite the
> > wheels that make all this work, is to 'dot source' an included file.
> > I have in mind if this is possible using shell+, to make a master bl
> > that looks like this:
> >
> > nitro
> > . scf.bl (read in the list of scf related modules here)
> > end
> > . rbf.bl (read in the rbf related modules here)
> > end
> > . remaining.bl (etc, starting with krnp3, init, yadda yadda)
> >
> > sort of a list.  Is this possible with our shells?
>
> I forgot to reply to this Gene. Maybe neither is what you want.
>
> OS9GEN is just a merge program with the list of files to merge on
> standard input (Use < for a file).

I'm aware of that, thanks.  But don't forget, one of its jobs is to update
the location and size data in DD.BT and DD.SIZ in LSN0, removing one bit of
problem that needed ded to otherwise fix.

> Forgetting about the problem of writing of track 34 which I fixed by
> first doing a Cobbler and then deleting OS9BOOT first it works quite
> well.

In the case at hand, the track 34 image on the vdisk is valid and works, so
there is no need to update that if I use os9gen to replace the OS9Boot
file.  Essentially mochs nichs (?sp on both) to doing a cobbler and then
deleting OS9Boot.  In any event, a hand carved mb script can work around
all that.  No Big Deal.

> That's how I rebuilt the "C" Library after fixing the abort routine that
> did not write the first byte to "core" making the matching up "core"
> dumps with the linker map off by one. :-II

Oh luverly.

> --------------------------------
>
> The ShellPlus 2.1 parts to do what you want are not included in NitrOS-9
> and the needed patches which should have been applied to ShellPlus were
> not, and they are not supplied either in NitrOS-9 AFAIK.
>
> Plus an additional routine was rewritten by the NitrOS-9 eliminating
> needed functions.  It is Scr.. badly.

I for one would like to see shellplus come back.  Broken scripts, if thats
the case, are editable.  Shrug.

> Lots of changes I would like to do to restore ShellPlus to it's glory
> that will break lots of scripts and user habits. Part of the reason I
> see a need to break from the past.
>
> BTY, I wrote a Basic09 Preprocessor to handle #Include files that also
> might help.

Thanks SHF.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)