[Coco] DSKINI sounds

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Oct 15 14:22:04 EDT 2012

On Monday 15 October 2012 14:11:14 David Roper did opine:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there a traditional pattern to the sounds a drive makes while
> running DSKINI on a coco?

You should be able to hear the drive regularly stepping along track to
track.  If it has an inconsistent thump, that is generally a sign the drive
needs to be removed from the box, and both the rails the head carriage
slides on, and the screw that drives the carriage cleaned with alcohol and
q-tips till they sparkle, then a drop or 2 of good oil on the slide rails,
and a coat of chassis grease or petroleum jelly on the drive screw.  Tape
driven, side motor driven carriages, need the tape and pulley cleaned as a
coat of dust can build up on the tape and pulley, effecting the track
spacing at various places on the disk.  Use paint thinner alcohol, not that
watered down medicine cabinet grade.