[Coco] Colorful_Sled_6ed

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Oct 12 23:31:28 EDT 2012

On Friday 12 October 2012 23:25:43 Stephen H. Fischer did opine:

> Hi,
>
> Sled (Either version) is not what you want.
>
> Both are limited to what will fit in memory.
>
> I stopped work on Colorful Sled when I ran out of memory and if any more
> code were to be added, the text buffer size would have to be reduced by
> another 8K. I refused to consider this.
>
> I realized this limitation and did not like it at all.
>
> The solution I found was to start over with an editor called, If I
> remember correctly, "RED". It was not memory limited, as all the
> editors I use on Windows are.
>
> It is in the notes.
>
> I have (I hope) the Dr. Dobbs Magazines with the source, but I have not
> seen them for twenty plus years.
>
> It was doable for OS-9 IMHO, but I never started.
>
> Sled has had little mention on the CoCo list and I am somewhat surprised
> that the non memory limited editors available have not been mentioned
> lately.
>
> I searched for RED and found a DVD offered for ~ $60.
>
> You are better off doing your editing on Windows like I do now, and then
> transfer the source to NitrOS-9 when ready. RainbowIDE, if what Roger
> and I disagreed on was done by him, is not your best choice.
>
> I am going to talk to Luis about getting CoCoDskUtil really usable for
> OS-9 disks which it is not yet. That will help a lot with the
> transfers.
>
> http://www.contexteditor.org/
>
> Is what I used for editing code, be it Urbane (DECB) or "C" or what
> ever. My Word Processor Lotus WordPro is also used for some operations.
>
> I did not run into the problems you are having because I broke the
> source apart when I got close to the editor limit. I would expect that
> you could do the same. The source that you gave me is way too large for
> Colorful Sled.
>
> Your desires all sound like Windows built in cut and paste, multiple
> windows open at the same time and lots more features that I use
> forgetting that OS-9 does not have anything close to them.
>
> Colorful Sled was fine back then when much better editors were not
> available.
>
> Try using "Edit" for ten minutes, you will be sick. Or DECB's editor, or
> Basic09's editor. Sled was a huge step up back then.
>
> SHF

SHF: Take a look at how I handled memory for a ramdisk in "myram".  I see
absolutely no reason why much the same framework couldn't be used for an
editor, at which point the file size limits for both the editors code, and
its buffers won't vanish, but from say 48k to 1.7 megs on a 2 meg equipt
coco certainly seems do able.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
  Gentlemen, I want you to know that I am not always right, but I am
  never wrong. -Samuel Goldwyn