[Coco] Colorful_Sled_6ed

Fri Oct 12 16:34:28 EDT 2012

Hi,

ftp://www.rtsi.com/OS9/OS9_6X09/APPS/Colorful_Sled_6ed.LZH

Is the good RTSI link, sorry I do not know what I did wrong. I took a nap
right after posting the bad one.
RTSI is case sensitive, Sled cannot be SLED.

--------------------

"Colorful_SLED_6ed.LZH"

> SLED_2_2.lzh

> Sledv23_text_editor.pak

> Which is all I can find on rtsi. And which are unstable/broken IMO.

You can be very assured of that IMHO.

Both SLEDs started from the heavily flawed original SLED program on OS-9
User Disk 46.

At the time all I had was "edit" which is terrible horrible to use. I feel
really bad at the excitement by the Apple2 folks just posted that they have
the source for it disassembled.

SLED crashed so often with what I was editing lost that I became determined
to eliminate all crashes and I finally did with the last remaining bug very
hard to find, understand and fix.

Whenever I visited "The Local CoCo Software Collector (Thief)" and he said
that he had a later version of the other SLED, I would sit down at his CoCo
and test it for the original fatal bugs. It always was the same story, I
could crash it with ease with many simple tests.

He and his group were to write the documentation for Colorful SLED (Which he
named and suggested the "<" to the right of terminated lines.) but they
never did anything!

So, you have the choice of "SLED_2_2.lzh" with documentation and bells and
whistles, overlay windows and more modern looking which will crash and loose
your editing, or

"Colorful_SLED_6ed.LZH" which just has a command card and notes to indicate
what the program can do and which will NOT lose your editing.

It's your choice. But PLEASE, do not try and run both in the same year, the
commands are very different.

--------------------

The best way to learn Colorful SLED is to print out the command card and
just try the commands. Looking at it I see a doc bug and some handwritten
notes.

ALT <leftarr> Tab right to next
Tab stop.
ALT <rightarr> Detab left to prev.
Tab stop.

I think that those should be reversed.

M ^G S 0^M M should be M ^G S 1^M M

Most I think you can figure out. Then read backwards the notes if you wish.

I stopped work on SLED after adding the macro facility and discovering that
to add load / save macros the text buffer would have to be reduced by an
additional 8 K which I did not wish to do.

SHF