[Coco] Tutorial on Telnet/inetd on Coco3 DW4 (is there one?)

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Oct 11 18:19:18 EDT 2012

On Thursday 11 October 2012 18:11:55 Gene Heskett did opine:

> On Thursday 11 October 2012 17:47:46 Bob Devries did opine:
> > Hi Gene,
> >
> > I'm using the exact inetd.conf as was supplied:
> >
> > 6806 telnet protect banner,login,
>
> and mine is:
> 6809 telnet protect banner,login,
> 6810 proc,
>
> So other than the port#, the first line is identical.  Me goes off in
> search of dinner, scratching thinning hair.
>
> And I just tried it again, and it worked!:
> NitrOS-9/6309 Level 2 V3.2.9 on the Tandy Color Computer 3  2012/10/11
> 17:39:58
>

> User name?:
>
> Process #03 logged on   2012/10/11 17:39:59
> Welcome!
>
> Welcome to NitrOS-9 Level 2!
>

> Shell+ v2.2a 12/10/11 17:39:59
>
> {N2|03}/DD:dir
>
>  Directory of .  2012/10/11 17:40
> BOOTTRACK       CMDS            DEFS            HDBDOS11.DSK    MAXTOR
> MODULES         NEWBOOT         NITROS9         NOS96309        OLD-
> FAITHFUL
> OLDCMDS         OLDDEFS         OLDSYS          OS9Boot
> PcDos.doc PcDos.doc1      Pcdos.lzh       SRC             SYS
>   SysGo TempBoot        UTILS2          UTILS2.tmp      asm.src
> boottrack.hd
> startup-101112  cc3go           devel           discscan4floppy dskini
> dummy           ekodrvr         gene            old-sysgo       print-
> test.b09
> startup.old     startyup        sysgo-sept-2010 sysgo.asm
> sysgo_dd-3.2.8
> sysgo_dd-3.2.9  test.p          utils2.merge-list
> nos96309l2_dw3.dsk              startup         BASIC09.stf
> dsavenitros9.out
> UBox3a.lzh      Ultimuse_UM3Play_Patch.lzh      UMUSE38         UMUSE39
> grfdrv          s.prompt        umdoc911.lzh    ume38110.lzh
> ume39111.lzh
>

> {N2|03}/DD:
> ------------------------
>

> 15+ times before it didn't.  And I did not pluck any magic twanger!  I
> don't own one that I know of...
>
> Its got to be more dependable than that though before I can tear down
> the serial cable & remove that system ram eating stuff for /t2 support
> from the boot file.
>
> After dinner I may go see how it goes if I reboot everything.
>
> > I forgot to mention, that my USB<->RS232 dongle plugs into a powered
> > 8-port usb extender, which is plugged into a usb-2 port on the pc. And
> > yes (shame) I'm running winders :)
> >
> > Regards, Bob Devries
> > Dalby, QLD, Australia
>
> Bad habits. Contagious I hear. :)
>
> Cheers, Gene

A PS of sorts here.  I dumped that file and it had no 0d as the last char,
so I called up ded, made it one byte longer and made that byte an $0D.
Hitting the rest button I got 2 "Send Listen's" instead of one, and the
telnet session started as soon as I hit the enter key the second time.

It wasn't working, apparently because dw was stuck trying to parse a line
with no cr on the end of it.  Or at least thats the theory.  One more test,
telnet to 6810 & see if I get a proc listing back..  Nope, I do get an echo
of what I type, but there's no shell there to run what I type.

Later, thanks for listening.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
"The greatest warriors are the ones who fight for peace."
		-- Holly Near