[Coco] Tutorial on Telnet/inetd on Coco3 DW4 (is there one?)

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Oct 11 05:10:37 EDT 2012

On Thursday 11 October 2012 04:46:03 Bob Devries did opine:

> Gene, I used IP address 127.0.0.1 instead of my *real* IP.
>
> I used the inetd.conf *exactly as described, although I can't see any
> reason that any number can't be used, but I don't have knowledge of
> that.
>
> At the display you're getting, you should be able to press ENTER to
> kickstart the coco's login module, which then responds like this:
>
> User name?:
>
> Process #04 logged on   2012/10/11 17:46:28
> Welcome!
>
> Welcome to NitrOS-9 Level 2!
>

> Shell+ v2.2a 12/10/11 17:46:29
>
> {N2|04}/DD:dir
>
>  Directory of .  2012/10/11 17:46
> OS9Boot         CMDS            SYS             DEFS            sysgo
> startup         NITROS9         rel
>
> As you can see, I didn't use any username, cos my password file isn't
> yet created.
> I set it (TeraTerm) to use IPV4 protocol.
>
> Hope that helps.

I've made progress, sortof.

If I hit a return or 2, which is not echoed, then a ctrl+], (the local esc
key does nothing) I then get a "telnet>" prompt, so that part is working,
but the coco seems to not be responding.  Do I need to start a "shell
i=/n"?  I can try that from here I think, brb.  Yes, proc now shows a shell
running on /n2, but that didn't help.

The dw server log shows the attempts:  Unforch the server screen can't be
copy/pasted, but the shell prompt is reported with a WARN on the servers
log screen as:
Unknown API command:Shell+ v2.2a 12/10/11 04:40:09
Which is not making it back to me in my terminal tab where telnet is
running.

So I did the escape to the telnet prompt and quit.  And when I repeat that,
I get the preflight and connection stuff repeated on the server screen, but
no more warnings about the shell prompt.

I think I'm going back to bed, I was just up with a metformin induced upset
tummy anyway.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Boren's Laws: