[Coco] Tutorial on Telnet/inetd on Coco3 DW4 (is there one?)

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Oct 11 04:06:51 EDT 2012

On Thursday 11 October 2012 03:43:29 Bob Devries did opine:

> Hehe, looks like I need to write that tutorial myself....
>
> I got it working by the very simple expedient of setting (in TeraTerm)
> the host to IP address 127.0.0.1, the port number to 6806 (as per the
> inetd.conf file), and the service to telnet.
>
> works fine.

Doesn't here:
gene at coyote:~/Download$ telnet 127.0.0.1:6809
telnet: could not resolve 127.0.0.1:6809/telnet: Name or service not known

My /dd/sys/inetd.conf:
---------------------------------
6809 telnet protect banner,login,
6810 proc,
---------------------------------
And, not being a telnet user previously, I have no /etc/telnetrc file.

Ahh, it turns out the syntax uses a space, not a colon, to separate the
address from the port, so now I have a shell locked up on this machine,
displaying:
-----------------
gene at coyote:/etc/init.d$  telnet 192.168.71.3 6809
Trying 192.168.71.3...
Connected to 192.168.71.3.
Escape character is '^]'.
DriveWire Telnet Server 4.2.4

But there is no response to anything I type.

How should I proceed?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
"Were there no women, men might live like gods."
		-- Thomas Dekker