[Coco] 128K CoCo 3 is DOA D:

Harry Hurst hhos at st-tel.net
Sat Oct 6 12:49:25 EDT 2012

> On 6 Oct 2012 at 11:07, Juan Castro wrote:
>
>> I would greatly appreciate some help in the mechanics of removing the
>> GIME. Can I do that with a small flathead screwdriver?

The puller is probably the safest way to do it, but I have never bothered
to order one.

> An alternative is a dental pick with the end bent into an "L" shape will
also work.

The dental pick idea sounds pretty good, but I would say that you want to
work your way around the chip, raising it GRADUALLY STRAIGHT UP. I have
successfully used a very small jeweler's screwdriver to remove the GIME on
each of my four CoCo3's without doing any damage. As I recall I went from
one corner to the next, raising the chip a very miniscule amount each
time. It's tedious to be sure, and I haven't done it in years? Yes, I
think years is right. Did it take three trips around it? Or four? I can't
remember. I'm sure it varies with my current level of patience. :)

HH