[Coco] 128K CoCo 3 is DOA D:

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Oct 6 11:52:22 EDT 2012

On 6 Oct 2012 at 11:07, Juan Castro wrote:

> I would greatly appreciate some help in the mechanics of removing the
> GIME. Can I do that with a small flathead screwdriver?

Only if you want to break the socket. As others have mentioned get a PLCC puller is the best
solution.

An alternative is a dental pick with the end bent into an "L" shape will also work. The object is
to pull the IC almost strainght up as possible. The will prevent a break out of the socket.
Some boards and sockets have a hole in the center that could use a blunt tool like a small
screw driver to push the IC out. I don't think that the COCO uses this feature. A pity if it does
not.

james