[Coco] Are MC68B09E's and HM63C09E's as well as various support chips still available?

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri May 25 10:55:26 EDT 2012

On Friday, May 25, 2012 10:47:44 AM John Kent did opine:

> Altera Quartus II web edition version 11.1 is supposed to work with:
> SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 (32 bit)
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 & 4 (32 bit)
> CentOS 4 & 5 (32 bit)
> Windows XP (32 bit)
> Windows Vista (32 bit)
> Windows 7 (32 bit)
>
> http://www.altera.com/literature/po/ss_quartussevswe.pdf
>
> It seems you have to buy the subscription version to run 64 bit OS
> versions which is a bit of a pain.
>
> It looks like Xilinx 14.1 is similar although it seems to support both
> 32 & 64 bit OS versions.
> They don't say they support CentOS or Vista.
>
> http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_1/irn.pd
>
> Anyway ... I guess most people running Linux already know all this.
> Can you run virtualbox or vmware under Linux and run Linux under Linux ?

I have read of folks doing it, but with only 4Gb of ram in this machine,
maximum of 8, I'd imagine it would be running in swap  to do so. A 16Gb
machine should handle that nicely.

My problems with the FPGA devel kits stem from libraries they want, which
have been deprecated even from later Centos6 installs.  Very very old stuff
that has never been in the pclos repos since pclos was started.

> On 26/05/2012 12:46 AM, Frank Pittel wrote:
> > I've tried to get the Altera software to work on my workstation
> > running Fedora and with a bit of work got the install to install the
> > software and it even was able to get it to run. Unfortunately I could
> > never get it to recognize the hardware. Of course the OS saw the
> > board and could communicate with it enough to determine what it was.
> > I reached out to Altera support a few times but never heard back from
> > them. The next time I was cleaning up disk space I removed the
> > software and unless I know it's going to work have no interest in
> > trying anymore.
> >
> > The Other Frank

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
No user-servicable parts inside.  Refer to qualified service personnel.