[Coco] 65k colours serial VGA module

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Tue May 22 16:45:55 EDT 2012

You could probably use those.

The DE1 board has a EP2C20 FPGA where as those boards have EP2C8 and
EP2C5 which are much smaller. I don't think they would be big enough for
Gary's CoCo3FPGA. I'm guessing they'd be comparable in size to the
XC3S200A.

Some of the boards only have SDRAM. You'd have to have SDRAM controller
IP. Mark pointed me to an SDRAM controller for the DE1 board, so maybe
that could be adapted to those boards. They might even be using the same
SDRAM as on the DE1 board.

I should declare my interests: I was given a free XuLA board. The FPGA
was a similar size to the 200K gate version of the Digilent Spartan 3
starter board so I thought I'd see if I could fit my 6809 design into
it, which I did. XESS provide a free SDRAM controller for their boards.
The XuLA board uses the same SDRAM controller as their XSA-3S1000 board,
although I had to make a few changes because they combined some signals
and eliminated a couple of signals because of the limitations of the
FPGA size.

The main advantage of the XuLA board is that it is mounted on a board
comparable in size to a DIP40 package, so can be mounted on a carrier
board. I thought if people were going to have a plug in board on a bus
expander it could be mounted as a daughter board on that.

I don't have any preference for Xilinx or Altera although I have been
using Xilinx longer than I have been using Altera. When I worked at the
CSIRO they used Xilinx. The university I studied at preferred Altera.
Altera I think might be preferred in universities because of their
university program that offers better academic discounts than Xilinx.

John.

--
http://www.johnkent.com.au
http://members.optusnet.com.au/jekent