[Coco] 65k colours serial VGA module

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Mon May 21 02:04:01 EDT 2012

Looks interesting. I do have vague recollections of seeing it before but
it was a fair while ago.

There is also the XuLA board from XESS in the US:

http://www.xess.com/prods/prod048.php

It has a fairly small FPGA on it, only 200K gate, but it has a bit of
SDRAM on it. You could plug it into a carrier board with 5V to 3.3V
level translation on it. I've implemented my system09 FPGA 6809 computer
on it with PS/2 keyboard and serial port. You could use it as a
co-processor for the CoCo. You might be able to put a 6502 or T80 (Z80)
core in it if you wanted to use other CPUs with the CoCo. You could also
tether it to a PC via the USB port. I think the USB driver code might be
available for adaptation. It would be adequate to implement line
drawing  functions and possibly area fill and possibly sprite overlays
using the block RAM. There are 12 x 2KByte block RAMs in the 200K gate
Spartan 3A. I'm not sure if you could phase lock the FPGA clock to the
CoCo clock.

John.

http://www.johnkent.com.au
http://members.optusnet.com.au/jekent