[Coco] Read Coco floppies in my PC

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 00:02:22 EDT 2012

Your results are atypical.

The problems between 1.2mb drives and 360k drives are very well known.
 This used to be common knowledge, but I guess its been a good long
time since anything regarding floppy disks was well known.

For instance, this microsoft article details the problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/79538

You will find further documentation in the wikipedia article on floppy disks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floppy_disk#5+1.E2.81.844-inch_floppy_disk

The crux of the issue is that 1.2MB FDD use a narrower track than 360k
disks by design.  The read head on a 1.2MB FDD can easily read the
wide tracks written by a 360k drive, and it can also read the narrower
tracks written by 1.2MB drives.  However, 360k drives cannot usually
read the narrow tracks written by a 1.2MB drive.  This means writing
to a 360k disk with a 1.2MB drive generally renders the disk
unreadable by 360k drives.  This is a physical property of the write
head and not something changeable via software.

..