[Coco] values other than 0 or 1 for byte 14 of decb dir entry

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Mar 27 08:08:19 EDT 2012

Arthur Flexser wrote:
> Robert, here's a message I posted to the list in April 2004 (seemed
> much more recent), and to which you replied confirming my results
> about what happens when you move ROM segments around by changing MMU
> values:
>
> ==================================
> involving Boisy and others, here's what happens as a result of moving ROM
> segments around, according to some old notes I dug up, where all MMU pokes
> are done in ROM mode:
>
> MMU location    Value          Segment moved                 Destination
>
> $FFA0         $3C or $3D      I0  ($8000 Extend. Bas.)          $0000
>               $3E or $3F      E0  ($C000 External ROM)
>
> $FFA1         $3C or $3D      I1  ($A000 Color Bas.)            $2000
>               $3E or $3F      E1  ($E000 External ROM)
>
> $FFA2         $3C or $3D      I2  ($C000 Int. Basic patcher)    $4000
>               $3E or $3F      E0  ($C000 External ROM)
>
> $FFA3         $3C or $3D      I3  ($E000 Int. Basic patcher)    $6000
>               $3E or $3F      E1  ($E000 External ROM)
>

> I haven't actually verified the $FFA0 results, but inferred them from the
> pattern of the others.
>
> Art

Oh boy, 69 years and counting and the memory is going. :)

Thanks Art, that explains ADOS-3 and possibly my problem with RGBDOS. It also
indicates that if you LOADM HDBDOS for Drivewire, CoCoMaxIII will fail
regardless of the EPROM size as the code won't be in ROM.
With my RGBDOS installation in a 32K EPROM, I'll have to try some juggling to
see that the correct quarter of the EPROM is seen.