[Coco] values other than 0 or 1 for byte 14 of decb dir entry

hhos at st-tel.net hhos at st-tel.net
Sun Mar 25 14:23:29 EDT 2012

> Hi,
>
> According to my docs, bytes 14 and 15 are the number of bytes used in
> the last sector of the file.
> Since we have sectors of only 256 bytes, I think that means you'd
> either see 0 in 14 and any value in 15, or 1 in 14 with 0 in 15.
>
> That rule holds true for a vast majority of the disk images I have
> here, however there are some disks with files that seem to be claiming
> to use more than 256 bytes in their last sector.  I'm not sure what
> this means.  Am I misinterpreting the docs?
>
> I've values of 2, 7 and 8 in byte 14, and a couple instances of a 1 in
> 14 and a non zero value in 15.
>
> -Aaron

I am definitely confused here. Are any of these images you're looking at
showing a value over $900? It's been a while since I looked at
documentation about this subject, but my memories tell me that DECB uses
granule sizes of 2304 bytes. I remember that number quite well mainly
because it is one of the main reasons why I despise the DECB file
structure. Wouldn't the value in bytes 14/15 therefore be the # of bytes
used in the last GRANULE, not the last sector, and could be as high as
$900?

> Dragon Use 1 byte for bytes in last sector
> and say
> if 0 then 256 bytes in last sector

The Dragon disk file structure differs from the DECB structure. It does
manage them on a sector by sector basis.

HH