[Coco] someone please move this to a forum.

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Mar 26 11:49:31 EDT 2012

On Monday, March 26, 2012 11:05:16 AM Steven Hirsch did opine:

> On Mon, 26 Mar 2012, Mark McDougall wrote:
> > On 26/03/2012 9:50 PM, John Musbach wrote:
> >> It's up to you, not us. :)
> >
> > Ditto. I absolutely hate web forums. I like having my messages get
> > sucked down to me, rather than have to remember to log in to each
> > forum website every day and troll through the dozen or so different
> > forums for each site. This is the reason I have lamented the death of
> > usenet newsgroups... except for the vast reduction in spam of course!
>
> There's a special place in Hades for whoever is leading the charge to
> disparate Web "forums".  Why don't we just go back to the days of
> dial-up BBS?  I miss spending my evenings round-robin dialing all over
> the place to catch up on the day's postings.

So do I.  About as much as a broken rib.  And I darned sure don't miss the
$200 long distance bills either.

Doing your email over a broken web interface is the most illogical  way
ever.  Mailing lists reduce the work to hitting the plus key to goto the
clicking on the correct button to preset the answer form and open the
editor, type my answer, elide that which is not germain, spell check the
rest and click send. The plus key repeats the cycle with the next message,
searching the mailing list folders for unread messages in case this coco
list has all been read.

Fetchmail handles the fetching duties from 3 different email servers,
procmail, clamav and spamassassin handle 80+% the trash disposal.  The only
problem is that one list I am subscribed to also has an open gate to the
google group by the same name and that lets in around 50 spams a day.  So I
filter that list & if it came thru google it goes in the spam folder, its
easier to pick the 3 legit messages back out than put 50 in by drag-n-drop.

FWIW, I am not aware that clamav has ever actually caught a viri.  It may
have, but I don't watch the procmail log in real time.  Theoretically a
viri should be sent directly to /dev/null, where several hundred spams get
silently sent each week.

Some folks bitch because the 'mailing list' works too well & makes them a
lot of work.  I don't buy that for a second when what they are really doing
is using some email agent that MAKES it a lot of work,  which any webmail
application I have seen does, multiplying the work by 2 or more times.  I
handle from 500 to 1500 messages a day coming through here with kmail as I
am subbed to several linux lists.  I could do the same with thunderbird but
don't find thunderbird's user interface near as easy to wade through if I
want to change something.  That, more than likely, is a matter of getting
used to one or the other.

I am constantly amazed at the bad habits encouraged, even demanded, of
folks using a windows machine.  In this case, its a symptom, prima faci
evidence of a windows user who quite simply, has never seen a better way to
handle email than what comes with the machine when it was purchased.

Here, email is 90% advertising free.  I do not normally decode ANY html for
display since it can serve as a vector to install a rootkit.  Folks who
send html only email are usually seen as empty messages here, tap the plus
key & move on, I officially don't care that your husband expired & you need
help getting his $27 million estate out of Nigeria.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Fertility is hereditary.  If your parents didn't have any children,
neither will you.