[Coco] values other than 0 or 1 for byte 14 of decb dir entry

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sun Mar 25 05:29:08 EDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 02:29:38AM -0400, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> According to my docs, bytes 14 and 15 are the number of bytes used in
> the last sector of the file.

Sure enough, that's what my docs say, to.

> Since we have sectors of only 256 bytes, I think that means you'd
> either see 0 in 14 and any value in 15, or 1 in 14 with 0 in 15.

Yes...

> That rule holds true for a vast majority of the disk images I have
> here, however there are some disks with files that seem to be claiming
> to use more than 256 bytes in their last sector.  I'm not sure what
> this means.  Am I misinterpreting the docs?

Errph.  Do those files load correctly?  That may count as directory
corruption because it doesn't make any sense.

> I've values of 2, 7 and 8 in byte 14, and a couple instances of a 1 in
> 14 and a non zero value in 15.

As far as I know that shouldn't happen.  To me it sounds like someone
was sloppy writing to the directory. :-(

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
  -- R.E. Howard