[Coco] Archiving a floppy disk collection

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 21:01:06 EDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Allen Huffman <alsplace at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Mar 21, 2012, at 7:46 PM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>> Is it possible to do a raw sector copy in OS9?  Something along the
>> lines of 'dd' ?
>
> Yes :-)
>
> In fact, my program was going to run under OS-9 and just bulk copy tracks across DW, assuming I could attach images on the other side and they would just be Track n to Track n+...  I could figure it out later (this is why I asked you a year or two ago about a command to make them on the fly, actually).

OK Cool, I would be interested to know what the technique for that is
(raw copy).  There is a dw command to create the images on the fly.
There are no tracks in DW, just linear sectors, but since sectors per
track is usually fixed I guess it doesn't matter?  It seems like while
you could create the image from the disk, and create a disk back from
the image, you still would not be able to actually mount the image via
hdbdos, since it is 35 track only.  could probably use the toolshed to
turn those > 35 track disks into regular 35s though, either splitting
across 2 or looking for disks that fit on 35 in the first place.