[Coco] @ Fischer: Jeff's DSKINI/RETRIEVE Utilities

Chad H chadbh74 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 20 17:35:47 EDT 2012

This "problem" you are referring to, what is it?

I've always had a peculiar behavior between my CoCo Drives and my MS-DOS
system with DSKINI/RETRIEVE....
When I DSKINI a disk on the CoCo system, the RETRIEVE on the MS-DOS PC would
have errors reading it. No other problems have been encountered anywhere!
The same disks read/write fine in all my CoCo Drives.  I tried swapping out
the 5.25" drive on the MS-DOS machine since I was using a 1.2MB drive.  I
swapped it with 360K drives I had tested in my CoCo and still got same
results.

What I have to do to get around the problem:  DSKINI the disk with the
MS-DOS utility, then on the CoCo machine, BACKUP the disk I want to RETRIEVE
to the disk I have just DISKINI'd on the MS-DOS machine, then all is well.

My drive swapping should have eliminated the possibility of some drive being
out of alignment, speed specs, etc...  I'm now suspecting a issue involving
the sector interleave used by the MS-DOS DSKINI & RETRIEVE.  I tried
changing the parameters on the CoCo setup (i.e. DSKINI 0,3 or 0,4, etc.) to
see if RETRIEVE would then read the disk...Some parameters did seem to help,
but none were perfect.

So is this related to the known issue with Jeff's utilities?
- Chad