[Coco] Questions about drivewire3/hdbdos

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 19:45:13 EDT 2012

DW4 sort of does that.  Every drive on the DW server side allows
specifying an optional offset and optional size limit.
At Robert Gault's suggestion I added a simple dropdown for choosing
the offset that matches the LSN for any particular drive # inside an
image, so you don't have to multiple by 630 each time.

This allows one to mount any "DRIVE n" inside a 256 disk image file
into any drive number, and since each of the 256 drives can use a
different source file, you can effectively map one (or dozens) of
disks from one 256 disk image file and some others from another 256
disk image file.  Theoretically all 256 disks could come from
different images, and none need be matched to the actual physical
order of the disk inside the image file.

So.. yes you could have a shared drive of sorts, by mapping a common
file into a particular drive number.  You could also just map in the
specific sections of two files containing the source and destination,
etc.

Hope that makes some kind of sense... it really is simple, but it
feels like it isn't coming out very clearly.  Each drive has an LSN
offset so you can make LSN 0 for that drive refer to any arbitrary
sector inside that drives source image.  The size limit setting is
just there for safety, to ensure you don't write outside of the
intended "window".  Good for mounting OS9 partitions in the middle or
at the end of an image too.