[Coco] Questions about drivewire3/hdbdos

Robert Hermanek rhermanek at centurytel.net
Mon Mar 19 19:29:43 EDT 2012

A little off this subject, but maybe of interest to the makers of the DW4
server:  When I wrote my own (somewhat crude) DW server, I decided on an
option of a shared drive.  So if I refer to the DRIVE #n command as choosing
between "devices" 0 to 255, and the DRIVE n command selecting virtual
floppies on said device, I then made an option where I could choose an
arbirary disk number, such as 255, to reserve as a shared disk.  What this
meant then was that regardless of what DRIVE # command you used, the shared
disk always returned the same DSK image.  So you could do this:

If "DRIVE 255" was shared, you could issue these commands:

DRIVE #1
BACKUP 10 to 255  (copies device #1, disk 10 to shared disk 255)

DRIVE #2
BACKUP 255 to 3 (copies shared disk 255 to device #2, disk 3)

This allowed me to easily swap disk images between device #'s without
worrying about ramdisk/etc, also was very handy as a general purpose "temp"
disk...

(And for all I know DW4 already has a feature like this, I have downloaded
it and installed, it, but have not had time to look at it in depth yet...
very nice though!)

-Robert