[Coco] Second Floppy

Mon Mar 19 14:23:16 EDT 2012

Hi,

Have you demagnetized your recorder heads?

Magnetic tape can magnetize your tape recorder heads over time.

I got my de-magnetizer soon after the purchase of my first reel to reel
stereo tape recorder.

And tape head cleaner. Both were in use often.

I wonder what the first reel to reel tape I made ~ 1967 would sound like
today, pretty bad for sure. Audio tapes also have a problem with print
through where the layers tightly wound together affect each other. After a
few years I could hear a second recording during quiet periods.

You are using audio tapes but a freshly written tape will not have a problem
with print through.

Do you have a bulk eraser? That completed the set of tools needed for audio
tape usage.

1. Tape head de-magnetizer.

2. Tape head cleaner.

3. Bulk tape eraser.

Look at the tape for damage. I have had to throw many an audio tape away
because of physical damage. In the beginning, some tapes had their magnetic
material actually come off.

Is it no wonder that I was glad when CDs were invented, and now we have MP3
recorders and players, even better.

Oh, when I started using tapes for storage for my first computer, a KIM-1, I
purchased a Sony Stereo tape deck which gave me much better results than the
cheap recorder offered by Radio Shack for the Color Computer when I got my
first CoCo.

Listen to the tape you just wrote, if you type AUDIO ON every time you will
soon be able to hear if a recording is good or bad. At least I can.

SHF